Friday, January 13, 2006

It pays to to keep in touch with the ones you want to rent from.

` Well, I'm in a fine mess.

` Even though I was the first person to look at a nice apartment going for $400, someone still managed to get there before me! How!? I didn't have the number that Phil had used to call them (and he refused to look up his previous calls on his cell phone), so I knocked on the manager's door each day to hand over my application.
` Apparently, the manager spends a lot of his time out back at the garage! I was knocking today just as he was walking past on his way toward the back gate. I asked about that apartment he had shown me, and he said that a little old lady had already rented it out!
` The owner was busy cleaning up there at the moment, so the front door was unlocked. I went in and she said; 'Oh, were you the one who left that note on the door? Wait... weren't you here on the first day? I didn't think you were interested because you never called back.'
` Luckily, she was very nice about it, and in fact, she sent me to some other places - which I found to be either unaffordable or kinda scary.
` It just so happens that I was getting hungry from walking all over town, so I stopped by Taco Del Mar for a nice vegetarian taco with some water. And would you know, the girl who worked there told me about some 'nice studio apartments' for only $425 right near where she lived, so I set off in that direction.

` I had my cell on me, so I called and the manager let me in to show me one of their studios! Well, they'd raised the price to $450 (including water, garbage and sewer), but I think it's worth it: Not only is the bathroom actually inside with the rest of the apartment, but there's laundry facilities on the uppermost and lowermost floors - plus the room seems to retain heat fairly well because the window was open and the fan was on, and I didn't think it was cold!
` Also, it's got a hardwood floor, which is good because I have a very large and groovy-looking floor rug for just such a purpose!

` I still have the number for the other place in case the current renter bails out - they'll tell me if she does - but I'm thinking that I like this place enough to turn in my application on Monday morning.

` Well, for once, I majorly saved my own ass. ...Thanks to the girl in the Taco Del Mar.

` Minutes later: I've found some more places going for even cheaper! I'm going to check one of them out tomorrow morning!

11 comments:

Wed-nes-day said...

Hey, I'm keeping all my fingers crossed.....(makes it hard to type, tho,)

And, Maybe you'll get a better 'view' ;)

S E E Quine said...

` I doubt that, but you get what you pay for... $300!

SOB said...

I have'nt even read it yet, but I completle agree with the title.

monado said...

Too bad you missed the one apartment. I hope it all turns out for the best with better facilities where you end up.

S E E Quine said...

` Try a shared bathroom and kitchen! Free utilities, though, including cable and a TV - not that I watch it. Maybe cable internet?

Galtron said...

Once I shared a bathroom with some people, which wasn't really all that bad. But a kitchen... now, that is a whole 'nother basket of pomegranites. Still, I paid more than 300, so I can't say that's too outrageous.

Laura said...

I'm fairly certain that I could NEVER share a bathroom with anyone! I have my own way with things... don't like my system to be messed up! Bothers me! Plus, I'm one of those anal freaks who won't sit on any toilet seats (and yes I do make sure to clean up an excess urine if it happens to land on the seat because my butt is so far away). I have two bathrooms at my house... I only use one of them. The other is for my guests; I won't ever use a bathroom after anyone but myself! Sad, really!

Quine - I am very glad that your spirits are starting to perk up again! You will find exactly what you are looking for!

S E E Quine said...

` Yes, hopefully! As it is, I've never had to not share a bathroom with anyone, so it's no big deal.
` Just as long as I don't have to live with them!

Aaron said...

Good luck Spoony. I happened on my apartment complex by accident. I was out looking at a number of places, and didn't even have my current residence on the list. I was just driving by and decided to stop in. The immediately gave me a tour of a model and it was bigger, better and cheaper than anything I had looked at. Even though I was only half-way through my list, I didn't look at another apartment.

cassie d said...

i am currently looking for a pad as well. i have been so busy looking for a suitable living space, i have no time for anything else!!!!
Sorry i haven't been leaving comments, but i have been reading your posts! i am in the same boat as you, and it's nice to listen to someone else rant about how crappy it is to find apartments!

S E E Quine said...

` Heh, heh! I totally understand! Glad to know that you haven't been snatched up by a gigantic terrible bird and torn limb from the limb alone on a mountain top.

` ...Yet.