Wednesday, June 22, 2005

More Boring Stuff About Me: My IQ in Question

` There will be more elaborate science and stuff soon, but first, I just thought I'd add this: Victor Serebriakoff's Five-Dollar Intelligence Quotient Test!

` On Christmas vacation in Blizzardland (Ohio), I got a five-dollar book called How Intelligent Are You? by Victor Serebriakoff, Honorary President of World MENSA.
` I don't know how much authority he has, but... whatever. All previous intelligent tests have shown me to be at least a 140 (meaning 40% above average). In fact, when I was six years, old, the school IQ test showed that my IQ was about 166. According to my calculations, this shows that I was average for a ten year old.
` Neat.
` Though, as I stopped being taught things in school and then proceded into six years of being locked up at home while my parents were at work, my IQ dropped drastically. While it lasted, my dad pushed me to be so stuck-up about it and then criticized me about bragging. Now I'm much closer to average, evidently. Still, I think this book has got me all wrong.

` There were six sections with 50 questions apiece. As my strong spot is actually working with words, the verbal section I am especially not taking seriously - since it was written in British English, a lot of that stuff really threw me for a loop and caused Much Staring (and in general, I found the entire book somewhat unclear about what I was supposed to do).
` The first number listed is how many questions I got correct, the second is how many I managed to answer under the time limit (actually, speed is part of intelligence, so the time limit is crucial):

Verbal Test A: 32 of 39 - Quotient: 124.
Verbal Test B: 21 of 29 - Quotient: 119.

Number Test A: 22 of 34. Quotient: 109.
Number Test B: 23 of 29. Quotient: 115.

Spatial Test A: 42 of 49. Quotient: 136.
Spatial Test B: 36 of 47. Quotient: 130.

All calculitated up, my IQ: 121.9

` Um, at risk of sounding stuck-up... seriously, that's way below usual. Then again, the personality tests made other people laugh because they don't match up.
` And the creativity test... Ugh. Make pictures by continuing on five different types of 'start', three times each. All the pictures I elaborated on look drastically different from one another, from all different perspectives. Oh what the hell, this is a small entry that probably nobody will read. These are descriptions of pictures that I drew:

` A crane's head eating a frog;
` A dinosaur's leg, the rest of it is all bent around;
` A car stopped at a duck crossing;
` An alligator snapping turtle;
` Different types of feathers;
` A laser computer mouse;
` A semi truck going down a hill;
` A paper airplane;
` A domino;
` A house being tumbled around by a tornado ("Auntie Em!");
` A dock and a boat;
` A pyramid with a camel in the foreground;
` A dolphin leaping in a sunset;
` An octopus' weird, rectangular pupil eye;
` Pac-Man being chased by one of those ghost-thingies.

... But do you see a pattern? In 8 of 15 pictures, various types of animals or parts of animals are somewhere in the picture... they're apparently supposed to be in one category - at least Phil insisted that this was true. I get one point for each category... and that leads to a grand total of...3!
` Three points out of fifteen for all that!? Oh well... Phil does not at all agree with this assessment either. I don't consider this little blog to be very creative, but I've been writing for years... no one has ever been inclined to say that I'm not too creative. In pictures, maybe, but not in general.

` Anyhow, it's quite possible that Serebriakoff is just not very good at writing cheap little IQ tests. Or it could be the very fact that this is a cheap little IQ test. Whichever, this one is definitely not a good one for me! Possibly, it's not a good one for most other people. So just to warn you: Don't take it. In fact, taking other cheap little IQ tests is probably not a good thing, because they are not guranteed to be very accurate.

No comments: