Thursday, April 27, 2006

That's Two Strikes....

` I hate depending on the library for internet access! Grarh! Yesterday, they were closed, so I'm set back an hour of rations!

` On top of that, if you don't log onto an internet station five minutes after you've booked it, that's a penalty. If you do this three times, you can't book a station at all anymore!
` Well, a couple of weeks ago I'd booked an internet station but was over at Book Listener's house when it came time to go. Instead of going to the library, however, I decided to stay and call the library and tell them to cancel my booking.
` I called a few times, but nobody answered the phone upstairs. After about fifteen minutes of this, I realized that it was late, so I called and asked whoever was downstairs to cancel my internet booking, which they did. But it was already too late - and it wasn't really my fault!
` Just the other day, I got to my internet station on time, but I couldn't log in!!! It took exactly six minutes and twenty three seconds to restart the computer and log in. So, I was 'late' again, and it really had nothing to do with me whatsoever that time!
` One more time, and I'll be stuck with Zippy's and Wired and Unplugged for good! Truth is, I can't afford to go over there all the time - though I can probably afford high-speed internet at my apartment. I just can't get it over there because I don't have a phone line (the cable I have is TV-only).


` Anyway, that fills my maximum allotted ranting for this month. I'll be back with more science, wackmobiles, or some other strange thing tomorrow morning.
` I hope.

6 comments:

The Swill Man said...

Libraries can be a bitch.

Anonymous said...

Most def. Commie bastards. Perhaps, though, you can work out something without them shooting you.

Aaron said...

Spoony, do you have a working computer at your home? I suggest you get a PCI WLAN card - get the 'B' series just be safe. Then I suggest you play WAR on your neighbors to look for an unsecured wireless signal to which you can attach.

You'd be surprised how many 'good-hearted' (naive) souls there are out there who have left their wireless LAN's wide open for anybody to use/abuse.

Spoony Quine said...

` I do have a wireless card: I just don't have any neighbors who have wireless internet.

Anonymous said...

I think there are devices you can get that that enhance reception, though I'm too lazy to make sure.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.